Quick Answer: Is It OK To Eat Mouldy Blue Cheese?

Does unopened blue cheese go bad?

Generally, as long as the package remains unopened, it should retain freshness until the date on the label, and maybe up to 2 to 3 weeks more.

Once you open up the container, you should finish it within about a week for best results, a few days more if you’re okay with not-so-great blue cheese..

How can you tell if blue cheese is bad?

Fuzzy gray or black patches of mold or shiny pink or yellow spots of yeast are indications that your blue cheese is past the point of no return. Cheese that is slimy or feels tough and dry has also likely spoiled.

Can blue cheese give you diarrhea?

People who are lactose intolerant may experience diarrhea if they eat or drink dairy products such as milk, cheese, and ice cream; however, some people find they can tolerate dairy foods that have lower amounts of lactose, such as yogurt and hard cheeses (i.e., Swiss cheese and aged cheddar).

Is moldy cheese OK to eat?

Mold generally can’t penetrate far into hard and semisoft cheeses, such as cheddar, colby, Parmesan and Swiss. So you can cut away the moldy part and eat the rest of the cheese. Cut off at least 1 inch (2.5 centimeters) around and below the moldy spot.

Will mold on cheese hurt you?

Dangers of eating moldy cheese Molds can carry harmful bacteria, including E. coli, Listeria, Salmonella, and Brucella, all of which can cause food poisoning ( 5 , 6 ). The symptoms of food poisoning include vomiting, stomach pain, and diarrhea. In severe cases, it may lead to death.

Will I get sick from moldy cheese?

What happens if you eat cheese with mold on it? Probably nothing, though in some people, eating mold can cause allergic reactions. In rare cases, it could be poisonous, and even cause vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness, and internal bleeding. So just in case, be safe, and cut that mold off.

Why does blue cheese taste like vomit?

In the wrong hands, however, these same molds can yield one not-so-chill side effect: high levels of butyric acid, which leaves some blue cheeses tasting like bile and pennies (butyric acid is the same compound famous for giving vomit its trademark smell).

How long can you keep blue cheese sauce?

5 to 7 daysTo be on the safe side, I would keep homemade blue cheese dressing no more than 5 to 7 days in the refrigerator. Make it in smaller quantities so you don’t waste it. If anything with cheese or milk base develops a strange color (often pink) or an off odor, definitely throw it out.

Why can you eat mold on blue cheese?

Penicillium roqueforti and Penicillium glaucum, which are the blue moulds used for cheese, cannot produce these toxins in cheese. … In fact, this is true for almost all moulds in cheese, which is the reason that cheese has been considered a safe mouldy food to eat for the past 9,000 years.

Is there mold on blue cheese?

Blue cheese or bleu cheese is cheese made with cultures of the mold Penicillium, giving it spots or veins of the mold throughout the cheese, which can vary in color through various shades of blue and green. This carries a distinct smell, either from that or various specially cultivated bacteria.

What happens if you eat old blue cheese?

While fresh blue cheese has a strong, sharp taste, old cheese becomes especially biting when it starts to spoil. … In most cases, eating a small bit of spoiled blue cheese isn’t going to make you sick, so tasting it isn’t dangerous.

Can you eat blue cheese if it has mold on it?

Actually, it can. The mold of the surface is created by edible mold (Penicillium) culture, so it’s safe to eat. But if other bacteria will be able to develop in the cheese, it will go bad and the only thing you would be able to do is to discard it.

Can blue cheese make you sick?

He says the molds in blue cheese are specific Penicillium species that don’t produce any dangerous toxins. In fact, the mold is what makes blue cheese so tasty. … Other molds that grow on food are wild types that could produce bad flavors or even make you sick.

Why blue cheese is bad for you?

Blue cheese has high amounts of sodium, fat and cholesterol, and I am concerned it will cause heart disease. I have celiac disease, and I was told the Penicillium roqueforti mold used to make blue cheese has wheat in it with gluten as an active compound. People shouldn’t eat things with mold in it.

Can I eat blue cheese if I’m allergic to penicillin?

Blue Cheese & Penicillium Allergies | Blue Harbour Cheese. Most of the people who have written about a correlation between cheese and penicillin allergy have indicated no problems with eating cheese.